"Boy on yellow background" (Boy) | "Boy on ochre background" (Model, sketch of a boy), (double-sided work), 1956
oil on canvas, 70 x 50 cm
signed lower right with monogram: 'AW'
described by the author top left: 'ANDRZEJ WROBLEWSKI | CHLOPCZYK | 1956 oil | 70 x 50' four stickers: on the frame, lower left: '92. Boy / oil/canv. property of the family'; on the reverse, printed, filled in with ink: CBWA branch in Cracow; printed, filled in with ink (illegible) with number 65.; printed, filled in with typewriter: 'National Museum in Poznan, Exhibition in the 10th Anniversary of the Death of the Artist, April-May 1967, catalogue number 92'; stamp on the canvas: P.P. Desa Oddzial w Warszawie ul. Nowy Swiat
Provenance- artist's heirs
- PP Desa, 1980s
- Desa Katowice auction house, 2006
- private collection, Cracow
Exhibited- "Andrzej Wroblewski: Recto/Verso", Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, 12.02-17.05.2015
- "Andrzej Wroblewski 1927-1957. Exhibition in the 10th Anniversary of the Artist's Death, National Museum in Poznan, 10.04-14.05.1967; National Museum in Warsaw, 5.02-3.03.1968
- "Andrzej Wroblewski. Posthumous exhibition", Palace of the Arts, CBWA, Cracow, 5-27.01.1958; Zacheta Gallery, Warsaw, 6-23.02.1958; Centre for the Propaganda of Art, Lodz, 4-25.05.1958
- "Junge Generation. Polnische Kunstaustellung", Internationales Auctellungszentrum, Berlin, Grassi Kunstgewerbemuseum, Leipzig, July-November 1956
Literature- Andrzej Wroblewski: Recto/verso, Éric de Chassey, Marta Dziewanska [eds], Museum of Modern Art, Warsaw 2015
- Jan Michalski, Boy on yellow background: texts on Andrzej Wroblewski, Cracow 2009 (illustration on the cover)
- Andrzej Wroblewski 1927-1957. Exhibition catalogue in the 10th anniversary of the artist's death, National Museum in Poznan, Poznan 1967, p. 41, position no. 92
- Andrzej Wroblewski. Posthumous exhibition, Cracow 1958, list of exhibited works, p. 13, no. 39
- Junge Generation. Polnische Kunstaustellung, Leipzig 1956, p. 26, no. 84
- Andrzej Wroblewski, A list of works executed in 1956, [in:] Agenda for the year 1956
Additional Charge Details- In addition to the hammer price, the successful bidder agrees to pay us a buyer's premium on the hammer price of each lot sold. On all lots we charge 18 % of the hammer price.
- To this lot we apply 'artist's resale right' ('droit de suite') fee. Royalties are calculated using a sliding scale of percentages of the hammer price.